This project is an attempt to provide a user-friendly desktop based on Sway - a popular tiling window manager (compositor) using the modern Wayland graphics stack. Ubuntu Sway Remix is great for both beginners who want to get familiar with the keyboard-oriented interface of tiling window managers and advanced GNU/Linux users who want a powerful, user-friendly and minimalistic interface. Ubuntu Sway contains popular console-based applications and utilities (CLI) along with graphical user interface (GUI) applications to meet the needs of most users.
- Solid Ubuntu base
- No Snap's!
- Very cool tiling Wayland compositor with amazing community
- Lightweight, easy to install, simple to use
- Popular console-based apps along with GUI apps
- Many customizations for comfortable use of Sway
- Ready to use out of the box
- CPU: Dual-core CPU with 1.6 GHz
- RAM: 1 GB
- Storage space: 20 GB
- GPU: Any Intel or AMD gpu (Nvidia cards required additional settings and NOT officially supported. See for details.)
- Supported models: 3b, 3b+, 4 and 400 (arm64 only)
- microSD card: 8 GB required
- Required good CPU heatsink
- Download image from downloads page
- Create bootable USB stick using Etcher or similar tool
- Click "Run Calamares installer" in Ubuntu Sway Welcome app (on Ubuntu Sway Remix 22.04 the installer will run automatically after boot to desktop)
- Follow through installation process. Installation is pretty straightforward and takes 10-20 minutes depending on your storage device speed. Check out our FAQ for additional hints.
- NOTE: there are currently problems installing using partition encryption. Use at your own risk!